If you’ve ever read a policy for term life insurance, you probably became confused with some terminologies and had to get a translation into plain English. Aside from questions on terminology, there may also be many questions regarding the policy inclusions and exclusions.
Here are some pointers on understanding life insurance quotes:
Online Quotes for Term Life Insurance
When you seek a quote online, you must provide accurate information about yourself to get a response. The process takes very general pricing structures and applies them for a quick assessment of your current age and health. A quote may end up varying somewhat once more extensive information is made available that effects the true cost of a policy, such as information from a medical exam.
You may be shocked to get a price that is higher than a quote you first received, and you may possibly get a quote that is lower that originally estimated. This is not because an insurance provider is attempting to give an erroneous number just to get your commitment; it’s just that a more in depth assessment of your health and living habits has an influence on premium amounts.
Why Rates Increase for Term Life Insurance
Most of what causes rates to increase are caused by the person insured. The insurance company prefers to insure healthy people who will usually live long lives, unless they are involved in an accident or diagnosed with a health problem, because they are a lower risk. Some of the causes for higher premiums include:
* High cholesterol – There is no industry standard on cholesterol, but above average levels will increase premiums.
* Height to weight ratio – The more variation from the recommended height to weight ratio, the higher the term life insurance rates because of the health problems associated with being overweight.
* High blood pressure – There are a number of health problems attributed to blood pressure, and each points to a shortened life cycle.
* History of family health – This is why your questionnaire asks about the history of disease and health problems in your family.
* Lifestyle activities – If you regularly participate in a dangerous sport or activity, it will increase your premiums, if you can get insured at all.
* Driving history – No one wants to insure someone with tickets for reckless driving or speeding.
Life Insurance Provider Choices
Price and performance are the two top reasons people give when asked what they want from a life insurance company. It is possible to get many varying prices for term life insurance based on the companies that quote coverage. Pricing comes from factors like the rating of the company and who underwrites the policies. A rating of A or A+ identifies high financial stability for an insurance company.